Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Yakimix and Sambo Kojin


They say it’s impossible to talk about one without having the other in mind. Bloggers confess on not being able to avoid mentioning both when writing an entry for any which of them since they pretty much have the same concept, and they offer similar food selections which dining regulars like myself are particular about. On top of that, they are within the same price range so a comparison is inevitable.  My very first yakiniku experience was with Yedang, so I already had a sort of reference when I tried these two. Here is my attempt for an objective comparison, and to justify why the latter won my heart. J

I first heard of Yakimix from my sister in law and her boyfriend who are regular customers. I got a chance to try them just a couple of months back out of curiosity, plus I already wanted to understand what loyal visitors have been raving about. My friend and I visited the Podium branch for lunch one day. I had the assumption that this is their branch with less customers plus it’s the one closest to the office, just perfect for my first time.

photo credits:
Yakimix Philippines Facebook page
http://aehthea.wordpress.com ; http://www.atwerpslife.com

They have more branches, they have one in almost every major mall or landmark in the city. Their stores exude elegance. Flashy chandeliers, classy lighting, glossy leather couches, and their staff all looked like hotel employees in their uniforms. Their food selections are mostly on the Japanese-Chinese cuisine. Of course they have all the options: meat, poultry, seafood, cold cuts, noodles, rice, and desserts. I was able to find everything that I thought of from their wide options on both raw and cooked menu. Despite that, I did not feel like wanting to come back for more after my first visit. I might consider visiting other branches hoping for a different experience one day, but it won’t be worth my own expense. That was exactly how I felt, unfortunately. Even more after I tried Sambo Kojin.

Since we’ve been to the famous crossover buffet of Dads-Saisaki-Kamayan a number of times, and I pass by EDSA everyday, we couldn’t avoid but notice the new Sambo Kojin, this was how I first learned of it. I heard from a good friend as well sometime last year that it’s another well raved yakiniku place, I didn’t understand why until I finally got a chance to taste the experience.

It was on the last weekend of the school’s semester break, and the last day of my long weekend from work when my husband, daughter and I craved for some nice dinner. We were not up for even just half an hour drive and we didn’t want to get out of our comfy shorts and flip flops, but we wanted to try out something new. Good thing that the West Avenue branch is just a 10 minute drive from our place, plus they don’t have a dress code (lol) and so we went.
 photo credit:
Sambo Kojin Facebook page

The West Avenue location, if I’m not mistaken, is their third and newest branch. They may have just a handful of branches, but they are all accessible. Their stores may not showcase the same level of elegance without the fancy lights and chandeliers, but their white leather seats are stylishly modern and truly comfortable. Their staff, mostly male, are in black uniform which adds to the Japanese restaurant vibe. Their food selections are on the Japanese-Korean cuisine with options of the musts diners crave for when doing buffet. Other than that, their bacon bar, Korean side dishes and Kamameshi rice got me sold! Now I understood why it was normal to compare. I couldn’t wait to come back the soonest possible, and I started craving as early as the following day. I ended up trying all three branches, on three different occasions, just within the same month. J

Rants and Raves:

ú          Yakimix maybe more popular because of accessibility, they are everywhere. Sambo Kojin only has West Avenue , EDSA Greenhills, and Eastwood.

ú          Yakimix has elegant interiors that make you feel like you are actually in a high end restaurant. Sambo Kojin is simple but classy and homey.

ú          Yakimix has couches, sometimes it requires a bit of an effort for those who are seated by the wall to move out of the table and grab more food. Sambo Kojin has a number of couches too, but their seats are positioned in a manner where everyone has enough space to move from and be able to stand up for refills. They offer single seats too.

ú          Yakimix and Sambo Kojin have similar grillers, just not sure if they’re of the same brand, but speaking out of experience, the ones from Sambo Kojin doesn’t seem to be non-stick.

ú          I find it difficult to hold the XL tongs at Yakimix, the ones in Sambo Kojin are easier to manage and it doesn't cause a mild sprain in the hands.

ú          Sambo Kojin waiters are waaaaay more accommodating. They are all over the place, raise your arm and they will all try to attend to you first. Even the chief waiters have visibility and they will take part on assisting you like a personal butler. I have visited all their branches and that was the case each time. As for the staff of Yakimix. They just do not have the customer service skills required of a restaurant.

ú          Although Yakimix has a wider selection on food, nothing stood out. Their sushi rolls maybe colorful but they tasted the same and are all bland. They always run out of Tempura (like seriously?!), and raw shrimp. Plus you have to season the meat on your own, or were the marinade just not that distinct? There isn't any flavor worth remembering, and I can’t even point out a single item that would pass as a favorite.

ú          Sambo Kojin may not meet the same level of quantity in terms of menu, but their food options are of high quality. Their selections are more unique and they all make the tummy happy! My family and friends can attest to how much I love bacon, so their bacon bar is just worth my every penny. Veggies, greens, mushrooms, and my favorite- crab stick wrapped in bacon is heaven! They NEVER run out of Tempura. Some waiters will even go around tables every now and then to offer more fresh from the pan tempura goodness for your convenience. Their sushi rolls each have remarkable flavors. I love their Korean side dishes, their raw meat are marinated in distinct yumminess, plus they have additional sauce and oil options on every table. I can list a number of favorites, but that bacon bar is just a big hit.

Now that we have more and more dining options and buffet restaurants are really popular, competition is at peak. Other than the good news that more diners are now health conscious, restaurant owners and managers should be keen on the level of service and flavor they deliver. It’s no longer just eating after all, the dining experience should speak for its worth.


Yakimix
Branches, Contact numbers, prices and other info:
http://www.facebook.com/YakimixPhilippines/info
Last visit: October 2012

Sambo Kojin
Branches, Contact numbers, prices and other info:
http://www.facebook.com/SamboKojin/infohttp://www.sambokojin.com/
Last visit: November 2012


10 comments:

  1. I haven't tried Sambo Kojin, but I agree that Yakimix is not worth another chance. :) Yep, nothing stood out from their buffet, the staff were too busy with their chant, and I just hate the long lines. :)

    Great review, te! Ikaw na nakailang eat-all-you-can sa isang buwan! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah. Thanks! Apat na beses lang kasi ako nagkaron ng time for a full meal so todo na. LOL.

      You guys just turned 3, were you able to celebrate? It's never too late for a nice dinner. Go na sa West Ave branch this weekend! ;) Don't forget to ask for Kamameshi rice. :)

      Delete
    2. Long Line kc marami customers That's it. So it means maraming costumer maraming may gusto, kaya dumadami ang branch.

      Delete
    3. Mura kasi at overhyped kaya maraming customers. It's like buffet na pang-masa.

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU!!!! i'm glad somebody finally agrees with me. I keep telling people that I hate yakimix and it's not worth its price range. I always recommend sambo kojin to anyone looking for a great japanese buffet. Yakimix is such a rip off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. Hope their level of service could keep up to their growing number of patrons though. Sayang ang place.

      Delete
  3. I think it really depends on the food preferences of the people eating. I tried both and I think both of them have their ++ and --. And just like what you have said in your review, Yakimix is more of a Japanese-Chinese-Italian (yes, they have Italian cuisine, not sure if it's only offered in GB3 but they have Italian in GB3) cuisine while Sambokojin is basically Japanese-Korean cuisine. From there I think there is already a big difference in preparation and all. For me I find Yakimix better not because of food variety and price (because honestly they're almost the same), I like it better because I am more into Chinese/Cantonese than Korean food. Yes, you may be right na wala ngang masyado flavor yung raw meat nila and stuff but I think this is because some people prefer a particular seasoning in their food that's why they wanted to give them the freedom to choose among their available seasonings. Or I could also be wrong. For Sambokojin, I must agree with the bacon bar and tempura because they really are the best but besides that I think that's all. Gaya nga nang sinabi ko I am not really into Korean cuisine so I wasn't really able to appreciate their Korean dishes that much, but I think they are good because my sisters find them good (they're into Korean and Japanese food). So based from these, I think it will really depend on the food preferences and dining preferences of the person eating. I don't really think we can compare them based on the the food variety, flavor and service alone because at the end of the day, the person eating the dishes will always have the right to decide which is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! For dinner last night, my two friends and I tried Yakimix for the first time. Hindi nga masyadong masarap. Quantity over quality talaga. Yung beef nila didn't taste good, pati yung sushi. I liked their sweet & sour pork though. Tapos yung juice nila is powdered juice lang. :( As for the desserts, masarap yung brownies nila. Can't wait to try Sambokojin! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that we can not compare this two buffet restaurant base on their food offered and how they taste it. I tried them both and i like the ambiance in Yakimix and as well as the vareity of food they offered. The sambo kojin offered korean foods which is not offered in yakimix but in terms of foods to choose i like most the yakimix. they have a lot of food in their buffet than sambo kojin. that's all i can i say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tama ka naman dyan. nakailang kain na din ako sa yakimix at ok na ok naman ang service nila lalo na ang food. The servers are very pleasant and also the supervisors. i love to eat there. Next week nga kakain ulit kami dun eh with my family.

      Delete