Saturday, October 27, 2012

Suriya Spa

Since we got married, it has been a tradition for us to treat ourselves to some extra special pampering every Valentine's Day. We used to just visit a nearby salon for some facials and foot spa, but over the last few years we were able spend some hours of indulgence at a number of top spas in the city. I promise to find time to post a review for each one of them soon (right ;p).

For this year's Valentine's Day, with the number of discount and promotional sites I am signed up for, we were lucky to be able to take advantage of a couple's promo for Suriya Spa in Frontera Verde (beside Tiendesitas in Pasig City). I verified through my PayPal account so I could give you specifics - we actually spent only PHP2000 as a couple for their Ayurveda Package (body massage, body scrub and scalp massage). We got a private couple's room with Jacuzzi  and I was able to book it early enough to get an available slot on the eve of Valentine's day. How's that for a deal?! Although the promo was truly irresistible for a luxury spa located in a major district, I have learned my lesson so I did my research prior to buying. From the google search results page, all I got were words like "perfect", "sanctuary" and "best" to name a few. It was my cue to hit the buy button and thank goodness I did.

It was raining when we got to Frontera Verde. The world class customer service experience was jump-started by the security guard. I mean how rare do you get to see a pleasant security guard these days? This kuya was smiling while giving hand signals to make sure hubby was able to park properly, holding an umbrella on the other hand ready to usher us to the main entrance. That moment I thought, if every single guard would take care of not just security but our safety and satisfaction, I can only imagine how happy our city would be.

The place seemed bigger from the outside. As soon as we entered the hotel-type lobby, I was surprised to see that the reception was just a few steps from the door, this is what I felt since it was also photographed on a bigger angle in their website. But still, from there you could tell that though the place has been on business for years, maintenance is a top priority. The menu book and their furniture was almost brand new. Relaxing music and fresh air also filled the place. I couldn't wait to see our room and experience the massage beds.


We spent just around a couple of minutes providing our details at the front desk before we were immediately led to our room. This was when my smile expanded. Our room was compact but spacious enough for us and the treatment we will have. It has its own toilet and shower, a closet-type locker complete with robes, towels and slippers - the works. We also have our own private couple's Jacuzzi with a partial garden view. Good thing I was able to take pictures.



We were then given more or less half an hour to either take a shower or lounge in the Jacuzzi, we chose the latter. :) As instructed, we rang the bell when we were all set for the treatment, and a pair of masseuse entered the room with their R&R paraphernalia. We were advised that we are to get a massage prior to the body scrub which was a first for us. I tried to raise a hesitation since we were not used to it but since they were able to explain the process and objective confidently, we proceeded.

As expected they were careful about the strokes and pressure, consistently checking on the customer's preference. Although the massage was good, nothing was worth remembering, sorry. What stood out was the scrub right after. I didn't bother asking what the product was but it smelled like ginger with mint and the supposed beads were powder-like. The scrub formula did not feel like it has oil, it was dry but wasn't tough on the skin. It still gave me the feeling of being exfoliated minus the common smarting pain. After which our whole body was wrapped with something that's similar to an insulator for about fifteen minutes. I wanted to fall asleep since the scent and feel of the scrub plus the music playing was really relaxing, but I have this thing about sleeping in spas, it never happens regardless how much I want it. We took a shower after, sipped our cup of teas, checked out and headed to dinner.

Although the massage itself was not notable, and that we were not comfortable with the massage-scrub-shower sequence, there were a number of things that made the experience worth every cent of this deal:
  • I highly appreciate their acknowledgement of the importance of time. More establishments should better understand that this is exactly the reason why people set appointments. I couldn't even think of anything more important in life than time.
  • I loved our room and I will never forget that scrub. One of the best body scrubs I've given my skin over the years. Exfoliating, relaxing and very organic.
  • Their service speaks for its price. For a spa like Suriya, you spend more not just for the treatment but the whole experience. That kind of comfort and luxury you get to enjoy for a few hours is priceless.
  • Despite having paid just half the price, the experience we had as customers was world class. Every single one of them was nice, from the guards, to the receptionist, to the masseuse, their courteousness was commendable! It was a big deal for me because as you know, coupons and vouchers are everywhere these days and I find it very annoying every time I encounter a sort of discriminating scene when I use one. They see you as a budget conscious social climber than a potential source of referral. They don't get to realize that the objective of their proprietor was to advertise and establish customer loyalty through experience. I just hope every management team would get to realize and understand that thought.
Despite having said all that, I still don't find the service being worthy of its original price. I loved the place and their people, but it would take another similar deal for me to come back.


Suriya Spa
Address: Ortigas Center (Opposite Tiendesitas) Ortigas Avenue, cor. E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue (C5) Ugong, Pasig City
Website: http://www.suriyaspa.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Suriya-Spa/221491721305413
Date of visit: February 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment